What is the Buy Feature Option?
The buy feature option in an online slot game is something that allows you to trigger its main bonus feature at any point simply by paying a specified amount of money. The amount required to buy the feature will vary from game to game and will usually depend on the size of your bets and the potential profits that can be achieved via the bonus feature in question.
When an online slot has several different feature modes (for example, a free spins feature that has different levels of volatility), the buy feature option will often allow you to choose which mode you want to purchase. In that case, each mode will have a different cost that reflects its potential profitability. The more profitable a feature mode has the potential to be, the more it will cost to buy it.
The Pros and Cons of Using the Buy Feature Option
Having the option to buy the bonus feature in a game is always to be welcomed, but whether or not we should take advantage of the ability is something that players must decide for themselves. There are both pros and cons to the buy feature option, so let’s consider those now.
The Pros of the Buy Feature option are:
- Convenience – Buying the special bonus feature means that you can enjoy it whenever you want. You won’t have to wait for a certain number of scatter symbols to appear to trigger the feature, as you would normally.
- Known Cost – When you buy the feature, you know exactly what it will cost to do so. When you wait for the feature to trigger naturally, on the other hand, you have no idea how much you will need to spend on spins before that happens.
- Cost/Profit Potential – Because you know the cost of buying the feature, and you know how much it is possible to win from that feature, you can decide for yourself whether or not it is worth paying for the feature or more sensible to simply play on and see what happens.
The Cons of the Buy Feature option are:
- Lack of Surprise – Bonus features were originally intended to give slots players a nice surprise from time to time. Buying a feature removes that element of surprise and could therefore lower the entertainment value of a slot over the long term.
- Needless Cost – When you buy a feature, the cost is certain, but it may not be necessary. You have no idea whether or not the feature will be triggered naturally in the next few spins, and if it is, paying for it early could be needlessly costly.
- No Guarantees – Even if you buy a bonus feature, there is no guarantee that the feature will deliver prizes that exceed its cost. In fact, there isn’t a guarantee that you will achieve any win from the bonus feature.
To Buy or Not to Buy
Ultimately, whether or not you choose to buy a bonus feature in any given game is entirely up to you. And you might well decide to take a different approach at different times. For example, if you only have a short period of time to play, buying the bonus feature might make sense. But if you have a longer amount of time to play, you might decide to see if you’re lucky enough to trigger the feature in the usual way. There is no right or wrong here, so choose as you see fit when you’re playing the game.
The Best Buy Feature Games
Having discussed both sides of the Buy Feature option, let’s now look at some of the best Buy Feature games that you might want to explore for yourself at some point. All of the slots highlighted below are well worth playing in their own right, regardless of whether you buy their features or wait for the required number of scatters to land on the reels of their own accord.
Money Train 2 Money Train 2
is a gorgeously executed Wild West slot that actually pays out more when you buy its feature than when you don’t. Its standard RTP is 96.4%, but when you use the Buy Feature option, the RTP shoots up to 98%. The feature in question is Money Cart Free Spins that allows you to collect a variety of exciting symbols as you pursue a top prize of 50,000 times your stake.
Big Bad Wolf Megaways
In Big Bad Wolf Megaways you get to play the bad guy in the traditional tale of the Three Little Pigs. This is a superbly entertaining slot where you can collect three scatters to trigger a Blowing Down the House feature that gives you 11 free spins with a very useful increasing win multiplier. Or you can pay 90 times your bet to trigger the feature on demand.
The iconic 2013 slot Starburst slot was reborn when Starburst XXXtreme was launched in 2021. The special feature in this game is called XXXtreme Spins, and it has two modes that guarantee the appearance of at least one or two Starburst wild symbols on every spin. You can buy either option for 10 or 95 times your usual bet, respectively.
Fruit Party 2
This is a game that’s sure to make your mouth water, and not just because of all the fruit on the reels. It’s a 7×7 grid slot that will occasionally host special golden scatters. Get three or more (or spend 100 times your stake), and you’ll trigger a Free Spins bonus round with increasing wild multipliers. Landing three or more scatters will increase your free spins by five, and there’s no limit to how often that can happen.